Campus and online business programs are the most popular choice of program by students. They open up a world of business employment opportunities. This page helps you to find out more about undergraduate and graduate business degrees, and to find one in the business school of your choosing.
A bachelors degree in business provides the knowledge and skills needed whether you are setting-up your own business or seeking employment in a company or NGO. Graduate programs in business can provide the knowledge and skills to get you that promotion and status you're looking for. But what exactly are these "business knowledge and skills"? You will find that communication, interpersonal, negotiation and leadership skills are all essential components of most degrees. Students also learn the fundamentals of business, economics, accounting, finance, marketing and human resources management.
This section of the web site will be useful to you if you are interested in taking campus-based or online marketing courses, business administration, information systems, leadership, or management accounting online, or any other business studies programs.
Levels of campus and online business programs
You can study business at any level, viz., associate, bachelors, masters and PhD:
- Business studies bachelors programs are probably the most popular degree chosen by students. They provide the knowledge and skills needed whether you are setting-up your own business or seeking employment in a company or NGO.
- Business studies masters programs are popular amongst working adults who already possess a Bachelor's degree. For those business professionals without degrees, it is sometimes possible to take an online Executive masters.
- PhDs in business studies tend to focus on greater understanding of leadership and organizational change, knowledge and learning management, high level decision-making, and finance in modern enterprise.
Browse business schools and programs at the foot of the page
Specializations in business
At bachelors level, you have many specializations to choose from. Some of these are listed below and further details can be found by clicking the appropriate links. It is possible to specialize further in these at Master's or Doctoral level.
- Accounting (accountancy) is an essential part of any business and a very common choice amongst the specializations in online Business Studies programs. Basically it is concerned with the preparation, analyzing and interpretation of financial statements.
- Administration - Because of its broad applicability, many students choose to specialize in Business Administration programs. In particular, the MBA (Masters in Business Administration) is very popular amongst working adults who already possess a Bachelor's degree, especially the One Year MBA. For those business professionals who have prior work and management experience, it is often possible to take an online Executive MBA.
- Banking - This type of program will prepare a student for the many aspects in regard to banking, which also shall include credit analyst, loan officer, branch manager, investment banker and financial planner.
- Business Analyst - looks at the structure of the organization, assesses the way in which the departments and units interact, and how technology is used to assist the organization to operate whilst conducting its business.
- Entrepreneurship programs provide the skills and knowledge for launching your own business.
- Finance is an essential part of any company. Although perhaps less in demand than accountancy, there is always a need for financial planners and financial managers in organizations.
- Human Resources - A human resources management degree prepares you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace, for example, mediating in harassment cases, ensuring equal opportunities regulations are followed, recruiting new personnel, and maintaining employee records.
- Information Systems is concerned with the activities and technologies involved in collecting, processing, storing, distributing and using information in organizations and society.
- International Business is an exciting area, with well paid careers in a rapidly expanding field as organizations compete for business in the global arena.
- Leadership degree programs are useful for those interested in pursuing supervisory, management or leadership positions in business, government, military and other settings.
- Management - A business management degree prepares you as a manager to assist with the organization and smooth running of a company.
- Marketing is an essential tool for any business, so a marketing degree is a high demand, profitable qualification.
- Non Profit Management is a field that is similar to traditional business management, but the focus is on meeting the needs of the underserved rather than on profit for the shareholders.
- Organizational Leadership degrees focus on the skills of transformational leadership, i.e., those skills needed to help an organization to undergo whatever changes are required in order to achieve its vision.
- Project Management is concerned with the planning, execution, and coordination of projects to ensure they are completed within the time set and without going over budget.
- Real Estate degree programs provide the knowledges and skills required for the selling and buying of homes, e.g., checking the physical integrity of the building, market prices, filing taxes and deeds, etc.
Search for business programs
Browse business schools and programs at the foot of the page
What can graduates expect to earn?
There are many different sorts of business degree jobs, and the salaries vary accordingly. Also, the sort of salary you could expect will depend on any experience you might bring, which US state or Canadian province you work in, the size of the company, and many other variables. In the USA, with 1-4 years experience and a Bachelor in Business Studies, you can expect to earn just over $43,000, with a median salary for a budget analyst of $45,000; for a securities trader, $51,000; and for a certified public accountant, $59,000 (PayScale.com).
For business schools and programs