This page provides information on clinical psychology online and on campus programs. It tackles the questions – “what is clinical psychology” and” how is it different to counseling psychology?” and provides advice on programs to take in order to qualify in this field.
Clinical psychology is the analysis, research and treatment of severe mental health disorders, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. This can be contrasted with counseling psychology, which deals with everyday stresses, including career planning, learning difficulties, marriage guidance and family difficulties.
This page has links to schools that are mainly for students who wish to study online. Click here to find out more about general psychology.
What do you study in clinical psychology online programs?
Clinical psychology began in 1896 with the work of Lightner Witmer on learning disabilities. Witner established a clinic where learning disorders and other educational difficulties could be assessed and treated. Other psychologists followed with their own theories and treatments of educational and other psychological disturbances, e.g., Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Alfred Adler.
There are now many theories and approaches to clinical psychology, and degree programs may vary slightly as to the content and specializations offered, depending on the research interests of the faculty.
Clinical psychology study is possible at the bachelor level, but is mainly taken at master’s and doctoral levels. Graduate programs focus on the assessment and treatment of mental health disorders, abnormal behavior and psychiatric problem. A typical masters program may include the following:
- Biological Basis of Behaviour
- Human Motivation
- Contemporary Issues
- Research Design
- Tests and Measurement
- Psychological Testing
- Principles of Psychopathology
- The Cognitive Approach
- Clinical Psych
- Theories of Psychotherapy
- The Developmental Approach
- Culture and Psychology
A thesis may be required in addition or in place of some of the courses.
Make sure the program you take is accredited by an appropriate accrediting body, such as the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP), the American Psychological Association (APA), the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), or the Council on Rehabilitation Education (CORE).
What jobs do graduates get?
Accredited online psychology degrees provide many career opportunities in private sector (e.g., marketing, personnel management), public sector (e.g., teaching, social/community work, mental health care in hospitals, clinics and schools). The American Psychological Association says that psychology is the third fastest-growing field in America requiring a college degree.
With a masters in clinical psychology (MA), you can become a guidance counselor, educator, clinical psychologist, social worker, research psychologist and more. With a suitable bachelors degree, but without a masters or a PhD, you would be qualified to work as a clinical psychology assistant. But for the best jobs you really need a PsyD or PhD.
Salaries are high for top jobs clinical psychology. To a great extent your salary depends on your specialization in your clinical doctorate. In the US, the average salary in forensic clinical psychology is about US$71,000 (PayScales.com).
List of schools and programs
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Psychology
- BS in Early Childhood Development
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- PhD - Psychology
- DSW - Social Work
- BS - Psychology
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Clinical Psychology (PsyD)
- Psychology (BA)
- Psychology (AA)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- Master of Science: Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Master of Science in General Psychology