The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- MA in Education/Administration and Supervision
- MA in Education/Teacher Leadership
Keiser University offers accredited degree programs in today's in demand careers: Healthcare, Technology, Paralegal, Business, Nursing and Legal Studies.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Career College Administration (Online Only)
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Leadership (Online Only)
- Education, MS (Online Only)
Brandman University, part of the prestigious 150-year-old Chapman University system is a private, non-profit regionally accredited university that offers a high quality education for non-traditional adult students.
At Brandman University, students can choose from over 50 undergraduate, graduate, credential and certificate programs in Arts and Sciences, Business and Professional Studies, Education and Nursing and Health professions.
- MA in Educational Leadership and Administration
- MA in Education (Educational Leadership)
- Added Emphasis Ed Spec Credential- Mod/Sev (Preliminary)
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Initial Educational Administration (EdS)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Higher Education : College Administration and Leadership
- Master of Science in Higher Education : Student Affairs
- Master of Science: Education
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- Ed.S. in Administrator Leadership for Teaching and Learning
- And more...
LeTourneau University is an interdenominational Christ-centered university offering more than 80 programs that prepare students for success in areas including the arts and sciences, aviation, business, education and engineering.
- Master of Education - Education Administration Specialization (M. Ed.)
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Founded in 1959, California Lutheran University's dedicated, accomplished faculty works with small classes of students who are open-minded—and are seeking to grow as individuals. Everyone at Cal Lutheran is committed to helping each student pursue their passions to discover their purpose, and follow that purpose to transform their community—and the world.
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Higher Education Leadership
- Master?s of Education (M.Ed.) in Teacher Leadership
- Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) in Educational Leadership (including K-12 specialization)
- And more...
- Master of Education - Teacher as Instructional Leader