The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
Welcome to Trevecca University Online
For more than 100 years, Trevecca University has been providing a positive, life changing education to students on their main campus in Nashville, TN. In the 1980s, Trevecca, launched degree completion programs for busy adults at locations throughout TN. Today, Trevecca has the top-quality, accredited, online degree programs learners are seeking at the associate, bachelor, master’s and doctoral degree level. Affordable and accelerated, our online format gives you the opportunity to successfully earn your degree without sacrificing work, community and family responsibilities. When you choose Trevecca you choose a university with a century of experience in Christ-centered, real-world education. Now is the time to make it happen.
- Leadership and Professional Practice