The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- M.A. in Education/Administration and Supervision
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MA in Education - Administration and Supervision
- Educational Specialist - Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Educational Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Master of Science in Higher Education : College Administration and Leadership
- Master of Science in Higher Education : Student Affairs
- Master of Science: Education
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- M.S.Ed - Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (Grades K-12)
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)