The distinction between leadership and management is not always easy to make in practice. A Principal will exercise education leadership when formulating a strategic plan and influencing others to follow it, and will exercise education management when allocating academic, physical, financial and other resources in the school or college.
Education management online degrees are designed to provide the expertise needed and to enhance your career potential in school and college management whilst still continuing with your job. Most people who choose these degrees are already licensed teachers or school administrators wishing to further their career in management. So the specialization is usually only offered at graduate level, e.g., as a master’s in educational management or a PhD in education management. This page provides information on what is studied in these education degrees and where you can study them online.
What do the education management online degrees cover?
An education management degree is designed for teachers who are interested in a career as a principal or other senior manager in a school, school district or college. Such degrees prepare you for leadership and a wide variety of management tasks, including: overseeing budgets, monitoring progress of student and programs, working with the community, advocating for the school or college and dealing with legal issues.
A typical masters program might include: education policy analysis, school law, roles and responsibilities of the manager, finance and budgeting, educational psychology, education management, community relations, cultural diversity, research methods, evaluation and assessment, educational technology, employee relations, and supervision of personnel. Programs might also include an internship experience in school administration at the principal level and an action research project.
What are the career prospects after graduation?
In the United States, educational manager can work in various instructional settings. Graduates of education management are equipped to pursue a career as a principal of a elementary, middle, or secondary school; academic dean; department chair; or other administrative and leadership position. Typical incomes are shown in the right hand column.
List of schools and programs
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Career College Administration (Online Only)
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Leadership (Online Only)
- Education, MS (Online Only)
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Higher Education : College Administration and Leadership
- Master of Science in Higher Education : Student Affairs
- Master of Science: Education
Pursue learning, scholarship, and creative endeavor at University of Kansas. Contribute valuable research alongside faculty that help shape their disciple as well as teach it.
- Master's - Educational Administration
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Education in Christian School Administration
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching & Mentoring
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Assessment Evaluation and Accountability
- Doctor of Education - Administrator Leadership for Teaching & Learning
- Ed.S. in Administrator Leadership for Teaching and Learning
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- EdD - Educational Leadership and Management
- EdS - Leadership in Educational Administration
- And more...
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Organizational Leadership (EdD) (Online)
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- Master Degree in Educational Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Teacher Leadership
- And more...