Clearly learning online is different to how most of us learned at primary and secondary school. So to what extent will the skills we acquired and used there help us? Probably not a lot. In fact, it is probably better to forget about how we did it at school altogether. Learning online is completely different and it is confusing to try to equate the two things.
When you’re learning in a classroom setting, the teacher is always there to help you learn and to structure your learning. But when you’re learning online, there is nobody actually physically present to help you with your online study. However, you are usually given a structure within which to learn and e-tutors to help you. But in the end it depends on you to be motivated and dedicated. Of course, this is true of any learning – only YOU can do it.
How to learn online: What tools are needed?
Your main tools for online study are a computer/laptop/tablet and the Internet. And if you are already using one of the social networking sites such as FaceBook, then you will probably have most of the basic skills.
You will need to be able to send an e-mail and use the Internet. You will also need to become familiar with posting messages to a discussion forum, so try doing that on some of the public forums first. Remember to observe the network etiquette (sometimes called “netiquette”) outlined below.
You will probably be creating documents (e.g., in Microsoft Office or Open Office) and attaching them to e-mail messages or uploading them to an “assignment post box” in the learning management system used by your institution.
Learning online using network etiquette
Here are a few of the golden rules for Internet communication in the online learning setting:
- Always show respect for your classmates and instructors. Although computer-mediated communication can seem impersonal, there is a person at the other end. Think of the feelings of that other person. And always avoid offensive language.
- Read all the posts related to the discussion before commenting. That way you avoid unnecessary repetition. If you find that someone has made a comment that you agree with, say so, but build on it so that the discussion is taken further.
- Learn the language of the Internet. There are a lot of conventions that have emerged in this form of communication, e.g., using all capitals means that you are shouting. So best to learn them or you might find yourself upsetting someone.
- Stay on topic. Keep what you are saying brief and to the point. Do not introduce new topics or it creates a very confusing string of emails. If you want to talk about a new topic, start a new email thread with a new subject heading.
- Review you work before sending it. Sometimes we write things in the “heat of the moment”, or make silly mistakes. So always leave aside what you have written for a little while, then review it with a fresh mind, modify it, review again and then send it.
- Always respect the privacy of others. Do not share their email or other details with people without their consent.
- And, of course, do not use the Internet to send inappropriate material.
List of online schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- B.S. in Environmental Science
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- And more...
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
The USC School of Social Work works with selected agencies and organizations across the country that represent the complete range of social services. This provides MSW@USC students the opportunity to apply what they learn in class and a chance to work with real-life clients in the community.
- Master of Social Work
- Founded in 1949, Grand Canyon University is a premier, private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- As a Christian university, the school encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- 65% of students have cars on campus, and alcohol is not permitted for students of legal age.
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Global Ministry
- M.S. in Leadership: Disaster Preparedness & Executive Fire Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- M.Div: Leadership
- MA Theological Studies: Theology
- MAR: Church History
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing Education - Master
- Nursing Leadership - Master
- Healthcare Administration - Bachelor
Study for your degree online with Adventist University of Health Sciences. We offer a completely online Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences program that allows you to study when and where it's convenient for you.
Must be currently registered with ARRT or NMTCB to qualify!
- Bachelor of Science in Radiologic Sciences
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Creative Writing, Master of Fine Arts (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Audio Production Bachelors (Online)
- And more...
- Regionally accredited, Florida Tech offers in-demand undergraduate degrees 100% online.
- No SAT or ACT or application fee required. Special military pricing available.
- Small class sizes give you ample opportunity to interact one on one with your professors and other students.
- Earn the same diploma as on-campus students, around your busy schedule. No campus attendance required and no set login times allows you to study anytime, anywhere 24/7 so it is convenient for you.
- Ranked a Tier 1 Best National University by U.S. News & World Report and ranked as one of the top 200 universities in the world by Times Higher Education.
- In-demand undergraduate degrees available - 100% online in fields like, aviation management, business administration, criminal justice, marketing and more.
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Mini MBA Certificate/Internet Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice/Homeland Security
- And more...