A human resources management program prepares you for the many varied tasks involving staff interactions in the workplace and offers the opportunity to build a “people oriented” career in the corporate world. It provides a good start to your career in the business world, and in government and non-government organizations.
Depending on your qualifications, you can take an associates, bachelors, masters or doctoral degree in human resource management. This page tells you more about these programs, where you can find them, what jobs are open to you after graduation, future prospects and more …
What do you study in a human resources management program?
Human resources management has gained importance in recent years as employee recruitment and training for changing work practices for greater efficiency has become part of stategic planning. Changes in workplace legislation has also made the role of the HR professional crucial. A human resources management degree prepares you to become part of this new environment, for example mediating in harassment cases, ensuring equal opportunities regulations are followed, recruiting new personnel, and maintaining employee records.
The typical program at bachelors level might include: industrial psychology, organizational structure, information management, quantitative analysis, communication skills, health and safety rules, labor law, employee training, and compensations rights and benefits administration.
At masters level, programs that enrol graduates from other areas might include some of the content of the bachelors program, but at a more advanced level. A typical program might include: planning and development, compensation rights, global management, health and safety rules, labor law, hiring protocols, disciplinary action, dispute resolution, benefits administration, employee training and development, and employee relations.
What are the prospects for graduates?
There are many jobs available to human resource management graduates. But it would depend very much on the level of qualification.
A human resources bachelor’s degree will qualify you to apply for an entry-level human resources assistant job. With some experience you can apply for a position as: manager of recruitment, labor relations manager, compensation manager, equal employment opportunity coordinator.
There has been “qualifications creep” as more people now take masters, hence reducing the value of an ordinary bachelors degree human resources. Some masters graduates may be able to take up a position as an HR director, overseeing an HR department. Other positions that masters graduates might apply for include HR generalist, training coordinator, and HR information systems specialist. An HR generalist’s job would include providing the programs and polices that govern an HR department. A training coordinator would organise sessions to train employees. An HR information systems specialist would develop computer applications and information systems to help manage and organize employee and potential recruits information.
A steady increase in the number of human resource vacancies is expected over the coming decade (US Bureau of Labor Statistics). In 2010, human resources jobs entry level salary is about $53,000 per annum for a human resource generalist. But with a higher qualification and appropriate experience, an HR manager can earn around $83,500.
List of schools and programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- BS in Business Administration - Management
- AAS in Business Administration
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- MBA - Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Human Resources
- Associate of Applied Science Degree in Business-Concentration in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Management
- And more...
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Human Resource Management
- Associates in Business Management
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Human Resource (MS) (Online)
- Business Administration (AS) (Online)
- Business Administration (DBA) (Online)
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- MS - Human Resource Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- PhD - Human Resource Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- BS - Human Resource Management (ACBSP-accredited)
- And more...
Ohio Business College offers a variety of Associate degrees, including Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Web Page Design, Information Technology, Accounting and Legal Assistant. We also offer Real Estate Pre-Licensing courses and Microsoft Office Specialist exams.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at: www.ohiobusinesscollege.edu/disclosure.asp.
- Human Resource Management
- Business Administration
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Management : Human Resources
- Master of Business Administration : Human Resources
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration : Human Resources
- And more...