Leadership psychologists seek to understand and change the interactions between people, and between individuals and the larger social environment. Leadership psychology programs develop the knowledge and skills required. They focus on the study of group dynamics from a leadership perspective, looking in particular at leadership behavior and leadership attitudes. You can study leadership psychology online and on campus at the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral levels. You can also study leadership in the context of a business psychology or organizational psychology degree.
If you are thinking of taking one of the leadership psychology degrees online then this page will help you to find out more about the program and locate suitable university programs, as well as giving an indication of the future prospects in this field. Many students who are are unable to attend on campus classes (e.g., because of work or personal circumstances) prefer to take leadership distance learning programs. This mode of learning gives them flexibility and control over their study program. So this page has links to online schools for those students, as well as links to campus-based schools. You may also wish to look at the leadership pages as a field related to this one.
Listed on this page are selected schools where you can study leadership psychology and other closely related programs. Request information from several schools and consider the admission requirements list of each to make sure you have the information and the qualifications they require. Consider applying for several universities and make sure your list has a range of entry requirements, i.e., higher to lower levels of school grades. In this way you will maximize your chances of being accepted by one of them.
What do you study in a leadership psychology program?
Careers in leadership psychology require you to deal with people in a number of business settings. These skills are generic and so are easily transferred from one job to another should you decide to change in the future. They include: Business skills, Communication skills, Team building skills, Management skills, Leadership skills, Analytical skills, Motivational skills, Consulting skills, Evaluation of programs skills, Critical thinking skills, and Market Research skills.
In a leadership psychology masters degree you learn about how to examine the culture of a given organization and evaluate the effect it has on the business so as to create work environments conducive to better performance. So you would also need to cover the following knowledge and skills in greater depth: Communication, management, team building, motivational psychology, analysis and evaluation, decision making psychology, leadership influences, leadership attitudes, and critical thinking.
What are the career prospects for graduates of leadership psychology?
Accredited online degrees in leadership psychology provide many career opportunities in the private and public sectors. And prospects are good. Many leadership psychologists work in Human Resource (HR) departments. With a bachelor’s degree in leadership psychology, you could work as a human resources generalist but in order to advance in your career, a master’s degree in leadership psychology is often required.
With a masters degree in leadership psychology, you can begin a career in human resources as a facilitator in corporate communications, team building, or coordinating professional development and leadership training programs. With an online masters in leadership psychology degree you could also work in executive search firms. Some leadership psychologists find work as a research consultant, or in universities researching and teaching leadership and decision making psychology. However, a PhD is usually required for such positions.
Salaries are high among some of the jobs that leadership psychologists take, but vary widely depending on the job type, geographical location, company size, education level and experience. For example, as an HR Manager with 5-9 years experience, you would earn over US57,000 per annum (PayScale.com). With over 20 years experience you could expect to earn over US70,000 per annum. Some other job titles to look for are: Senior Research Consultant, Human Resources Consulting Assistant and Employee Relations Manager.
List of schools and programs
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.A. in Psychology - Organizational Studies
- B.A. in Psychology
- B.A. in Psychology - Human Development, Education and Health
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BSPY - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- BS in Psychology
Welcome to Argosy University
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its eight colleges: College of Behavioral Sciences, Graduate School of Business and Management, College of Education, College of Health Sciences, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Creative Arts and Design, College of Clinical Psychology and Western State College of Law at Argosy University as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Industrial Organizational Psychology (MA) (Online)
- Psychology (BA) (Online)
- Human Resource (MS) (Online)
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science in Psychology : Industrial/Organizational Psychology Specialization
- MS in Educational Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology : Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- PhD - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS - Leadership Coaching Psychology
- MS - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- And more...
- Partnerships with thousands of companies
- Alliances with many national industry associations
- Personalized career guidance
- Job market research tools to help you explore your career of interest
- M.S. in Psychology/Industrial- Organizational Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Doctor of Mgmt in Org Leadership
As a student at South University, you will have the opportunity to learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Psychology (BA)