Open educational resources (OER) are digitized materials that are available for use and re-use in teaching, learning, and research, very often under a Creative Commons license. In this page you can find out more about the many benefits – and some challenges – in using these valuable resources …
As part of the general and rapidly spreading open access movement, open educational resources have become extremely important for online and distance learning – both from the point of view of the teacher and the student.
The benefits of open educational resources (OER) courseware
Open educational resources are extremely important for teachers looking for lesson plans resources or for assisting institutions to get online programs up and running easily and quickly – and within the small budget that they are often working with.
Clearly there are many benefits of open access courseware, but the main ones include:
- Low or no cost to users, as products are generally free to access and download;
- Shorter development cycle due to the collaborative, parallel efforts of developers;
- Adaptability to suit own conditions.
But there are other challenges in using open educational resources in the development of educational courseware.
Open educational resources for teachers and students
Checkout these resource links on this site:
And checkout Project Gutenberg, which offers over 38,000 free ebooks. All the ebooks were previously published by bona fide publishers, and have been digitized and diligently proofread with the help of thousands of volunteers.
Open Access Journals
Open Access Journals are ones that allow readers to access the contents without payment. Click on the links in the navigation bar on the left to access the contents of the journals listed:
Finding open educational resources
There are now many open educational resources websites devoted to providing access for educationalists. The challenge is to keep up with them all and to sort out the most useful for your own purpose.
By far the best way to find Creative Commons material is to use the Google advanced search and then specify the “Usage Rights” as “free to use, share and modify”. That should bring up the latest list of stuff for any specific subject or area you choose. You can use the Google search facility on this site to do this.
Another convenient way to search for open access material is to use search.creativecommons.org. Note that this is not a search engine, but rather offers convenient access to search services provided by other independent organizations.
List of schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Master of Science in Nursing/Nurse Education
- B.S. in Environmental Science
- Doctor of Education/Educational Leadership
- And more...
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Computer Information Science (Bachelor's)
- Computer Information Science (Associate's)
- Applied Management (Associate's)
- And more...
- Diploma - Medical Assistant
- Diploma - Medical Administrative Assistant
- Diploma - Dental Assistant
- And more...
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Pharmacy Technician Program
- Founded in 1949, Grand Canyon University is a premier, private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- As a Christian university, the school encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- 65% of students have cars on campus, and alcohol is not permitted for students of legal age.
- Master of Divinity with an Emphasis in Global Ministry
- M.S. in Leadership: Disaster Preparedness & Executive Fire Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Early Childhood Development
- BS in Business Administration - Risk Management
- And more...
Passionate about a culinary career? Get hands-on training from professional chefs at Lincoln Culinary Institute. Choose from day or evening classes, earn a Diploma or Associate Degree. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Financial aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Culinary Arts
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
The USC School of Social Work works with selected agencies and organizations across the country that represent the complete range of social services. This provides MSW@USC students the opportunity to apply what they learn in class and a chance to work with real-life clients in the community.
- Master of Social Work