Online nursing continuing education is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession. In fact nursing continuing education units (or nursing CEUs) are essential in some US states. With the rapid changes and increase in knowledge, continuing education (CE) is necessary for every profession. Taking nursing continuing education online is a useful way for nurses to stay up-to-date in their profession whilst continuing with their employment. It is also useful as a means of professional advancement and personal development.
The requirements for CEUs in the US
Some states in the US require the completion of nursing continuing education units (CEUs) for license renewal. For example, all RNs in the State of California are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education for license renewal. LVNs must complete 30 contact hours of continuing education every two years in order to renew their license.
The amount of CEUs a course is worth is determined by the approving board (licensing board). So if you want your nursing continuing education course specifically for license renewal, check your state requirements before enrolling in an online class. This page contains more information about nursing CE courses and where they can be taken.
What online nursing continuing education programs are available?
Nursing continuing education programs are available online at several levels, from open certificates to post-masters certificates. Here are details of a few, and more can be found at the foot of the page.
- HealthCampus.com offers the following nursing continuing education online courses/programs:
- Cardiac care
- Clinical care
- Critical care
- Emergency room
- Fire safety
- Human physiology
- Medical surgical
- Neonatal care
- Pain management
- Patient history / evaluation
- Risk management and regulations
- Stages of shock
- Nursing Informatics Learning Center offers CE courses in:
- Nursing Practice
- Nursing Informatics Fundamentals
- Human Factors in Nursing Informatics
- Nursing Education
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Basic
- Nursing Informatics in the Classroom
- Virtual Education in Nursing: Intermediate
- Nursing Leadership
- Web Presence for Nursing Businesses
- Nursing Research
- Qualitative Research and Technology
- Quantitative Research and Technology
- Nursing Practice
List of schools and programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Health and Wellness
- Associate of Science in Health Science (Military Only)
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Technical Institute. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
- Nursing (Practical)
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln College of Technology. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus
- Dental Assistant
- AS - Medical Assisting and Administration
- AS - Nursing
Earn Your Degree from U.S. News & World Report-Ranked Florida Tech – 100% Online
Grounded in a tradition of excellence since 1958, a degree from Florida Tech puts you in good company. With a longstanding reputation of unmatched academics, Florida Tech has educated NASA scientists, CEOs of Fortune 500 companies and highly decorated military generals. Join distinguished alumni and empower yourself with a career-building degree that employers value.
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Healthcare Management
- Associate of Arts in Healthcare Management
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
Please call on 844-252-4552 to talk to a respresentative.
- Medical Assisting
- Dental Assisting
- Healthcare Career Program - Clinical Track
- Healthcare Career Program - Administrative Track
- Associate of Science in Medical Billing and Coding
- Diploma in Medical Billing and Coding
- Diploma in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Medical Assisting
- Associate of Science in Nursing
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MSN - Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - RN-to-MSN Nursing, General (CCNE-accredited)
- MSN - Diabetes Nursing (CCNE-accredited)
- And more...