Both campus-based and online teacher certification programs are excellent ways to qualify for a teaching career. Some people like to study with others in a classroom setting, whilst others find online learning more convenient for their lifestyle. Many programs are available, ranging from those that prepare you to teach at pre-school to those that specialize in tertiary teaching, and they’re available from bachelor’s to doctor’s levels. This page gives details of the programs and where they can be found. In particular, it has useful details of how and where to find online teacher training programs.
Programs for the certification of teachers
In order to teach in public schools in the US, you need to have passed a suitable program of study and obtained teacher certification (licensure). There are various specifically designed teacher certification programs, such as those on this page. If you already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, you can take a one-year teacher training program to satisfy licensing requirements. If you don’t have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training.
The teaching certification programs and other programs described in the list below include ones for different stages in the education system (e.g., early childhood certification or elementary certification) as well different specializations (e.g., online ESL certification or special ed certification).
What is studied in teacher certification programs?
If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you can take a one-year certification program. Teacher training certification programs provide an introduction to classroom teaching methods, including supervised practice in a classroom setting. These programs are available online, but you are required to have access to a school class in order to undertake supervised teaching practice.
If you don’t have a degree, you can take a degree program that includes the required teacher training. These teacher’s certificate programs typically include: educational psychology, child development and learning, instructional methods, curriculum design and development, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, and educational technology. You also need to have supervised practice in a classroom. This ensures that teaching is the appropriate career for you.
Advanced teacher education courses – such as found in the M.Ed. Elementary Ed – focus on topics such as pedagogy, curriculum design, school administration, and leadership. A masters degree will usually include a substantial research project.
How do you obtain teacher certification?
State teacher certification requirements are often slightly different in each state in the US, so you should check the specific requirements where you want to teach. However, in general terms, most states require the following to gain certification:
- Completion of a teacher training program which includes supervised practice teaching;
- An undergraduate degree:
- To teach at an elementary school level, an undergraduate major or minor in education or a Masters degree in education;
- To teach secondary subjects, an undergraduate degree in the desired subjects, as well as the completion of an educational program which usually includes a student teaching and/or practicum component;
- The passing of a state-administered exam.
Some states require a Master’s degree, although it is sometimes acceptable to be close to finishing one.
Even if you are not actually teaching, but are working in an educational setting, it is useful to have teacher licensure.
What are the career prospects for teachers
Career prospects for graduates of teacher certification programs are good – according to the United States Department of Labor the job growth for teachers is expected to be around 12% over the next several years. Salaries vary according to state, qualifications and experience. Teachers in K-12 education earn an average income of $43,000 a year, but the figure is higher in some states and lower in others. Salaries also increase with experience and a teacher certification masters degree. See the table in the right hand column for recent salary details.
List of schools and programs
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- Phoenix Career Services™ help students find careers that match their interests & map out a personalized career plan.
- Mentorships & networking opportunities available through Alumni Association of 800,000+ graduates.
- Flexible start date and class schedules.
- 100+ locations and online options.
- Offers special military rates and special advisors who have a military background.
- Students can earn credits for applicable military training and education.
- Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- A.A. in Education
- Continuing Teacher Education
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Education - College Teaching
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Curriculum & Instruction MAE
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- EdS - Personalized and Competency Based Instruction
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- EdD - Teacher Leader in K-12 Studies
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed: Teaching & Learning Student Services
- And more...
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ed.S. in College Teaching and Learning - General
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model
- Ed.S. in Assessment Evaluation and Accountability - General Program
- And more...