This page provides an annotated list of websites with OER (Open Educational Resources) for education teaching materials. It is not a definitive list – please let us know of sites that you think should be included.
Right click on the following links to open in a new window so that you can easily return here. You might also want to check our page of Selected OER.
- Open Courseware Consortium – use, share, and support OER (multilingual site) at http://www.oeconsortium.org/
- A good site to view video clips (sometimes long) of academic lectures on a range of topics is http://academicearth.org/ The lectures vary in style and quality, so it is worth browsing.
- OER Commons – free to use resources for teaching and learning from around the world at http://www.oercommons.org/
- TED talks (Technology, Education, Design) lots of informative video clips and a wider community of users at http://www.ted.com/
- This site is from the US Education Department consisting of teaching and learning resources from the US Federal government. New sites are added regularly: http://free.ed.gov/
- The Open University OpenLearn Project: http://openlearn.open.ac.uk – an excellent resource
- Another good site from the UK Open University on interactive learning, with links to lots of great educational videoclips (now part of the OpenLearn Project): http://www.open2.net
- The Creative Commons site (re-use and mix for free) http://creativecommons.org/ or learn about Creative Commons by watching their video presentations at: http://creativecommons.org/videos
- EdutechWiki, an educational technology open resource, at TECFA, University of Geneva: http://edutechwiki.unige.ch
- Online College Classes – A free compendium of educational multimedia content from around the web.
- A website that works like a search engine to locate OER for educational use http://www.oerrecommender.org
- Directory of Open Access Journals: http://www.doaj.org
- A free service for finding scholarly articles: http://www.citeulike.org
- The site of the European Digital Library Project and resources http://www.edlproject.eu
- Wikimedia Commons: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
- Commonwealth of Learning (COL) WikiEducator http://www.wikieducator.org
- Harvard Open Collections Program (OCP): http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology’s (MIT) OpenCourseWare (OCW): http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/index.htm
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT): http://www.merlot.org/merlot/index.htm
- Open access courses from Yale University http://oyc.yale.edu
- Connexions: sharing knowledge and building communities: http://cnx.org
- Open Archives Initiative (OAI): http://www.openarchives.org
- Sofia (Sharing of Free Intellectual Assets) Open Content Initiative – Modeled after MIT’s OpenCourseWare Initiative, Sofia encourages the free exchange of community college-level materials on the World Wide Web: http://sofia.fhda.edu/gallery
- Blended Learning (click “Sourcing Content”): http://blendedlearning.wikispaces.com
- Wikipedia: http://www.wikipedia.org
- Open Directory Project (ODP): http://www.dmoz.org
- BC Campus – shareable online learning resources at: http://solr.bccampus.ca:8001/bcc/access/home.do?
- dgcommunities – OER plus some links to further information at: http://openeducation.zunia.org
- Free Learning – access free educational resources from across the globe at: http://freelearning.bccampus.ca
- Harvard University Library – Open Collections Program – links to many open resources: http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu
- Intute Virtual Training Suite providing online tutorial by subject to help with study skills: http://www.vts.intute.ac.uk
- National Science Digital Library (USA) online resources for education K12 and Higher Education at http://nsdl.org/
- Utah State University OpenCourseWare site (and links to other US institutions) at http://ocw.usu.edu/
- Jorum – shareable OER for Higher Education and Further Education from UK institutions at http://www.jorum.ac.uk
- Google Books – an enhanced catalogue of global books (with downloads for out-of-copyright books) http://books.google.com/googlebooks/library.html
- More books for free (not just academic books): http://manybooks.net
- OER search (no annotations): http://edtechpost.wikispaces.com/OER+Dynamic+Search+Engine
- Curriki – a community of educators, learners and education experts who are working together to create quality materials for teachers and students around the world: http://www.curriki.org
- Gleeditions – a site that provides free, searchable access to public domain Common Core literature for grades 9-CCR, developed by a team of instructional technologists and professors: http://www.gleeditions.com
More OER Websites
Click on the other resource links on this site:
List of schools and programs
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- A.A. in Education
- Continuing Teacher Education
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- CERT: Preschool
- And more...
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Child Studies
Welcome to Cumberland University! Cumberland University is located in Lebanon, Tennessee, 30 miles east of Nashville. Founded in 1842, Cumberland University offers a variety of educational, athletic and social experiences to enhance the learning opportunities of the current student body. The university has an exceptional academic program steeped in the liberal arts. Athletic teams regularly compete for conference and national championships.
- Master of Arts in Education (MAE)
- Masters of Education - Administration and Supervision
- Master of Education
- Master of Education - Special Education Endorsement
- And more...
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Secondary Education: Business Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- EdS - Teacher Leader in Digital Transformation
- EdS - Personalized and Competency Based Instruction
- EdD - Teacher Leader in K-12 Studies
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership